Feeling comfortable with one’s appearance is not always a simple task. Not everyone is blessed with a
figure that meets their ideas of what they consider to be beautiful. One’s breasts can dictate confidence
in one’s femininity, and the feeling that nothing can be done to fix it can be overwhelming. Dr. Andres
offers breast augmentation in Scottsdale to women who are looking to enhance their naturally given forms and revive
their sense of self-esteem.
What is Breast Augmentation?
Breast augmentation is a surgical procedure performed to enhance the size and shape of the breasts. During breast augmentation surgery, breast symmetry, volume, and shape are addressed to achieve a curvy, appealing, feminine shape. Breast augmentation is performed with a range of implant sizes and types women can choose from to suit their personal aesthetic goals.
Due to weight loss, age, and pregnancy and nursing, the breasts can deflate and change, resulting in asymmetry, smaller size, and a less appealing shape. Breast augmentation returns the round, full, breast appearance.
Women who have always had smaller breasts and wished for a bigger size, more cleavage, or a more curvy figure can have breast augmentation. For some women, breast asymmetry has always been troublesome–breast augmentation effectively addresses this.
What Are The Benefits Of Breast Augmentation?
- Fuller breasts
- Volume restored to breasts which have previously greatly diminished after having children or excessive weight
- Both breasts are symmetrical, when they may have been previously unbalanced
- A balanced, more feminine silhouette for your frame
- Self confidence and better appreciation of your body
Before & After Breast Augmentation with Dr. Albert Andres
Am I a candidate for breast augmentation?
In terms of age, clients pursuing breast enhancement should be at least 18 years old for saline implants and at least 22 years old for silicone implants. There is no upper age limit for surgery, although clients must be healthy non-smokers with no significant medical issues that might interfere with their surgery or its recovery. It is often recommended that patients be finished with pregnancy and breastfeeding before undergoing breast augmentation, for the simple reason that childbearing may alter the shape and size of the breasts, necessitating a revision procedure.
The amount of breast tissue that a client has naturally will affect their candidacy for breast augmentation with implants. Those who are extremely thin and lack sufficient coverage for the implants might consider a natural breast augmentation with fat transfer instead.
Lastly, it is important that clients have realistic expectations for their breast augmentation surgery. Many women desire to look like celebrities they see in films or on TV. While breast surgery can help fill out your figure and enhance your confidence in how you look, it cannot make you look like a completely different person or compensate for emotional issues. It’s important that you discuss your goals for surgery in depth with the doctor before moving forward, so that you are informed, educated and empowered to make the best choices for your future.
Breast Augmentation Testimonials
What can I expect from the procedure?
Our breast augmentation procedure is generally performed as an outpatient procedure using IV sedation or general anesthesia, which is delivered exclusively under the care of a board-certified
For a breast augmentation surgery, a breast implant, which will have been discussed and chosen in advance by Dr. Andres and the patient, is positioned behind the breast through a small incision. Placement of said incision will be a decision based on the patient’s preference, as well as what Dr. Andres will find to be most fitting for the desired results.
After making the incision, Dr. Andres carefully establishes what is called a pocket for the breast implant. Ideal placement of this pocket is contingent on the amount of existing natural breast tissue,
what kind of implant was chosen, and the outcome that the patient wishes to reach. Breast augmentation surgery, commonly referred to as a boob job, takes approximately 2 hours. If part of a Mommy Makeover procedure it can be more.
Breast Augmentation Recovery
After breast augmentation, patients usually go home the same day of their surgery. It's normal to have some
bruising, swelling, and a general feeling of tightness in the chest area, initially. To assist the healing
process, you will be given a surgical support bra. This bra should be worn consistently for the first
several weeks. You’ll want to avoid any lifting, or strenuous activity for the first week to 10 days.
Typically, patients feel able to return to their day-to-day routine, including work, within a week or so.
More strenuous activity may be taken up again 3 to 4 weeks after your surgery.
What do I need to know after Breast Augmentation?
You've just taken one of the biggest steps toward loving your body by choosing breast implant surgery. Now more than ever it's important to know how you can care for them to ensure the health of your breasts for years to come.
- Support is Key. Supporting your new breasts with appropriate undergarments is one of the most important ways you can care for your new curves. Since you've just added extra weight to your breasts, providing proper support will ensure that they maintain their new, plump shape.
- Massage. If you want your breasts to stay happy and healthy, massaging them daily will help to keep your implants in place where they're supposed to and allow them to move freely under the skin. Daily massage for just a few minutes will keep them happy.
- Keep your yearly exams. It's true that having breast implants can make it a bit more difficult to detect any changes in your natural breast tissue. Regular mammograms are very important to safeguarding your breast health.
- Have your breast scanned after a few years so any problems can be identified. While modern breast implants rarely rupture, early detection is important for your health. Breast implants have a “shelf life” and will need replacement about every ten years, although some last far longer.
You dreamed of having these fabulous new curves for years. Just a little care to safeguard your investment in your body (not to mention your self-esteem!). Now all you need to do is plan your wardrobe for your new curves. Enjoy!
How to Choose a Plastic Surgeon for Breast Augmentation in Scottsdale
Dr. Albert Andres is a board certified plastic surgeon, by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, as well as a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons. He has been honored as a Top Doc in Phoenix for the past four years, and he is considered one of the best breast surgeons in Scottsdale and Phoenix areas.
We understand that the choice to have breast augmentation is an extremely personal one, and Dr. Albert Andres honors that choice. It is a task that can seem daunting, but there are a few things to keep in mind. Your peace of mind is our priority.
What Should I Ask My Plastic Surgeon?
Here are a few questions that we hope will aid in your decision-making process:
- Is your surgeon board-certified? Your first step is to make sure you have found a board-certified plastic surgeon who is recognized for excellent work in breast augmentation in Phoenix. Your final appearance is one with which you will need to be happy for years to come. Ensuring you have a qualified plastic surgeon to perform your surgery is of the utmost importance.
- How many breast augmentation surgeries does your surgeon perform each year? Your surgeon needs to have a level of experience that makes you feel comfortable. Too few surgeries each year, and that surgeon might not have the experience in breast augmentation to give you confidence that you will be pleased with the result. Too many surgeries, however, can leave you with a surgeon who is tired and performing at less-than-peak status. Find a happy medium that makes you most
- Where will my breast augmentation surgery be performed? No matter who your surgeon is, your surgery should be performed at a hospital or a certified outpatient surgical center in order to be ensure that your health and safety are monitored as they should be.
- What are the risks of breast augmentation? Like any surgery, there are risks associated with breast augmentation. These risks include bleeding, infection, hematoma, scarring, implant rupture, and dissatisfaction with your surgical outcome. Be sure to weigh all options and risks before you make the decision to have breast augmentation.
What You Should Know About Breast Implants
Dr. Albert Andres offers several types of breast implants in Phoenix, and will discuss the options with you during your consultation so you can make an informed decision. The type of implant you receive will depend on the final look you envision, in addition to your preferences on firmness, projection, and feel.
There are two main types of implants: silicone and saline. Technological advances have led to multiple varieties of both types, with each offering specific advantages.
All About Saline Breast Implants
Saline implants are filled with a saltwater, or saline, solution. They are FDA-approved for women over eighteen, and the implants are filled after placement to produce the firmness and size you want. If an implant were to rupture, which is far less common with the latest generation of saline implants, the saline solution is non-toxic.
What are the benefits of saline implants?
- They are filled after placement and require smaller incisions
- The solution within is easily absorbed by the body should the implant rupture
- Placement of saline implants is a simpler procedure due to the flexibility of the outer shell, making it possible to fill the implant after being placed. Small incisions are typically hidden within the armpit, or a procedure in which the implant is inserted through the belly button area
- In general, saline implants are also less expensive than silicone implants. Surgery-related costs will remain the same, but the implants themselves are less costly
- The latest generation of saline implant is structured, with an inner shell around the chamber holding the saline solution, with several “baffle” shells to provide more structure. Together, this provides a more natural feel and bounce than earlier versions
While implant rupture is rare, some women are hesitant to have silicone implants even though the FDA has established through extensive research that they do not pose a danger to health.
Things to Know About Silicone Breast Implants
Silicone breast implants consist of an outer shell like saline implants, but are filled with a silicone gel. Past silicone implants were filled with liquid silicone, but advancements have led to the use of silicone gel, which produces a beautiful, firm look and feel to an enhanced breast.
Advantages of Silicone Implants
- Traditional saline breast implants had a higher incidence of ripple because of the thinner solution within the outer shell. Silicone implants are less likely to ripple because the newer type of silicone gel holds its shape
- These implants feel and look like natural breast tissue, and are a very popular choice
- Silicone implants will not collapse or deflate when ruptured because of the structure provided by the silicone gel inside
- The result of breast augmentation can appear completely natural, soft, resilient, and exceptionally attractive
- The latest versions are available in more sizes and shapes than ever before, and can produce reconstructed or enhanced breasts that are beautiful, and appear natural
Frequently Asked Questions
Is breast augmentation surgery painful?
The surgery itself is not painful for the patient, but it does involve incisions. These incisions can be uncomfortable in the early stages of healing, but you will have prescription medication to keep you comfortable, which is typically not needed for many days. In fact, most patients upon which we perform breast enhancement tell us that recovery was less of a problem than they expected. Dr. Andres uses the most advanced surgical techniques to limit incision size and speed
How much does breast augmentation cost?
On average, breast augmentation can cost anywhere from $6,000 to $12,000. The cost with vary depending on the type of implant, related fees, and if additional procedures are being added.
Will I need a breast lift with my breast augmentation?
If you are one of the many women who after pregnancy and breastfeeding, or due to aging skin, see your breasts sagging, you may need a breast lift along with breast augmentation to achieve the look you envision for yourself. A private consultation will reveal whether this is necessary in your case.
Are there natural ways to enhance breasts?
While you may see promotions for creams that increase breast size, these don’t work. One method that does not involve breast implants is natural fat transfer breast augmentation, but this procedure cannot greatly increase breast size, and is appropriate for patients who want a moderate increase in breast size.
How can I be sure that my new breasts will look like I imagine?
Dr. Andres can show you many images of women with a similar body type, before and after the surgery. The main point in achieving the breasts that you envision is to have open, free communication with Dr. Andres. He can advise you about the types and sizes of implants that will achieve the look you want.
Will I need a mammogram before getting breast augmentation?
Some women, to be safe, should have a mammogram prior to breast augmentation to rule out the presence of breast cancer, particularly if any of your close relatives developed the diseases. A mammogram is a fast procedure and once complete, you can proceed to surgery with confidence that you are in good health.
Will I need to replace my implants in the future?
Implants are manmade objects, and eventually will need to be replaced. The question is how long? Most patients with modern implants can expect them to last a long, long time. The FDA issued a report that revealed the facts about implant replacement. One out of five women will require revision after about 10 years, while the others need to do nothing. It all depends on the individual, and whether an issue has developed such as excessive scar tissue affecting breast shape (capsular
contracture) or implant rupture.
Where will the incisions be placed?
The choice of incision site is based upon the type of implant, the quantity of natural tissue and fat on your body, and what will be necessary in the surgical procedure. The various types of incisions are as follows:
- Periareolar: For some patients, an incision is made around the areola, the outer colored part of the nipple structure. Through the incision, a pocket is created into which the implant will be placed. This incision is appropriate for some patients, and some sizes of implants, and has the advantage of reducing the risk of a visible scar.
- Inframammary: A common incision site is in the fold beneath the breasts, just above where the breasts and rib cage meet. This incision allows for more options in where the implant will be placed, an important point in achieving a natural look and feel. The incision is hidden from view even in bras or bikini tops once healed.
- Transaxillary: For saline implants only, this incision is placed in the armpit. A channel is created and the saline implant is then carefully placed and then filled.
Additionally, there are two common locations within the breast where the implant can be placed:
- Subglandular: Under your breast tissue yet over your pectoral muscle.
- Subpectoral Under your breast tissue and under your pectoral muscle.
What sort of anesthesia can I expect during my procedure?
Dr. Andres may suggest three options for anesthesia during your breast augmentation in Phoenix. These are local anesthesia, general anesthesia or IV sedation. Each type of anesthesia has its own pros and cons and it is best to make a selection in consultation with your doctor.
How long is the recovery from breast augmentation?
Every patient who comes to our Phoenix plastic surgery center is different in how quickly the body heals. Generally, younger patients heal more quickly. When planning your surgery, you will need to expect to take at last a week off from any activity that puts stress or pulling on the upper body – including stretching, lifting, or raising your arms. You have incisions that must knit. It is advised that you plan on taking at least one week off work. Some patients may need a bit more time, but a typical patient feels strong enough to go back to work (other than jobs that require heavy physical activities such as lifting) after a week. You will be wearing a compression garment to keep your new breasts secure while they heal. Dr. Andres will tell you when it can be removed.
Does breast augmentation surgery entail any risks?
Nearly all cosmetic surgeries have some element of risk. As far as the breast augmentation procedure is concerned, some of the potential side effects include unfavorable scarring, rippling, implant displacement, changes in nipple sensation and asymmetry.
Some of the potential long-term problems may include implant leakage or deflation. This usually requires removal of implant and perhaps a replacement surgery. There is also a possibility of capsular contracture. This happens when the capsule or scar surrounding the implant starts to tighten and squeezes the implant. The patient can feel their breast harden when there is capsular contracture.
During your consultation
During your consultation with Dr. Andres, he will want to go over your particular desires regarding
physical enhancement through breast augmentation. By doing so, it gives Dr. Andres a clear concept of
you’re looking to achieve, and develop a surgical plan that will help get you there. Dr. Andres will then
examine the areas that you have discussed, so that he may be able to give his professional opinion of what
course to take for your breast augmentation in Scottsdale.
It is encouraged that during your consultation, you voice any questions or concerns you may be having so
that he can address them appropriately. It is important that you feel comfortable and confident in your
choice for physical enhancement and breast implant types, so that come your surgery day, you need only focus on relaxing. Dr.
Andres aims to administer among the best breast augmentation Phoenix has to offer.
Whether you choose to undergo breast augmentation as a single procedure, or elect to have your breast
augmentation alongside another coordinating breast enhancement procedure, for example a breast lift, Dr.
Andres’ goal is to help you finally feel confident in the way your body looks.
If you would like to further discuss your available options for breast augmentation in the Phoenix & Scottsdale area with Dr. Andres, you
can request a consultation online. Or if you prefer, you are more than welcome to contact the office
directly, and one of our staff members can assist you.
Schedule a Consultation
More on Breast Augmentation