It can be frustrating or unpleasant to see bags under your eyes when you look in the mirror. Eye bags make you look tired, unhappy, and older than you are. And they can be quite tricky to reduce.
What can be done about them? There are a number of ways that can be used to address this problem.
At home (self care)
There are many remedies that can help treat eye bags that you might try at home. Here are a few:
- Hydrate: Drink more water. Staying hydrated can reduce eye bags significantly.
- Tea bags: Apply wet, chilled, caffeinated green tea bags under your eyes. The caffeine in the tea contains powerful antioxidants, which may increase circulation to this part of your skin.
- Retinol: Use retinol cream under your eyes. Retinol in skin creams can improve collagen deficiency. Apply it once a day.
Non surgical treatments
These days, there are many nonsurgical, effective treatments that can help reduce bags under the eyes. Here are a few that can make an impact:
- Chemical peels: Chemical peels are often one of the first things we recommend for reducing the dark bags under your eyes. Chemical peels eliminate dead skin and reveal the fresh new skin beneath. This skin is stronger, thicker and less likely to be prone to dark circles or eye bags.
- Dermal fillers: Dermal fillers can reduce dark circles and bags. There are fillers that are especially beneficial to this delicate part of the face that can target the dark hollows and provide a more full, youthful appearance.
- Microneedling: Microneedling stimulates collagen and the growth of healthy, new skin. Microneedling uses ultrafine needles to make micro punctures in the skin. The skin generates a boost of collagen to rebuild it, and rejuvenates the area, which can greatly decrease the bags under your eyes.
- Blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery): Eyelid surgery, called lower blepharoplasty, can be done to address the lower eyelid. This highly effective procedure diminishes bags, dark circles, or puffy skin under the eyes. Blepharoplasty rejuvenates the eye area by tightening the muscles and skin in the area to create a younger, refreshed aesthetic.
Which treatment is right for me?
The right procedure for you depends on your unique skin concerns and your aesthetic goals. If you’re more comfortable working on resolving eye bags at home, that type of treatment may be helpful to you. However, it’s less effective than treatments we can provide at Andres Plastic Surgery.
If you’re comfortable with minimally-invasive or non-invasive procedures such as a chemical peel, laser skin resurfacing, microneedling or dermal fillers, we are happy to provide these for you. We can help you decide what treatment is best for your particular needs during a consultation.
For those who are ready for the most effective and long-lasting treatment, we recommend a lower blepharoplasty to reduce or eliminate the bags and dark circles under your eyes.
If you’d like to find out more about how to get rid of the bags under your eyes, call today for a consultation. We are happy to meet with you, examine your skin and help you say goodbye to the tired, older appearance that bags can cause, and hello to a younger, refreshed, and happier-looking you!
Back to blog